As part of the SM&CR, firms must submit their directory persons data using the FCA’s Connect system. This data, which will be owned and maintained by firms, will be published on the FS Register.
Deadlines for submitting certified and assessed persons information
- We are now proposing to extend the previous deadline of 9 December 2020 for solo-regulated firms to submit information about Directory Persons to the FS Register to 31 March 2021. Find out more about the proposed change.
- The submission deadline for Banks, building societies, credit unions and insurance companies ended on 9 March 2020.
Please note: until we start publishing the data, dual regulated firms can either regularly update their certified and assessed persons data as changes occur, or wait and provide a bulk update once the new launch date is confirmed. See our guidance on adding or amending your data.
Avoid problems with your submission
- Save your upload as a CSV UTF-8 file. Once converted to CSV UTF-8, do not make further changes to it. If changes are required, update your original Excel file (.xlsx) and then convert it back to CSV UTF-8.
- Make sure you provide a role start date and FRN for each certified and assessed person.
- Use the drop down values in the template and do not ignore cell formatting. Pay particular attention to dates, ensuring Excel recognises them as dates rather than ‘general’ or ‘text’ (see the number format box in Excel).
- Avoid using commas and special characters in the template, and avoid leaving blank spaces in the national insurance field.
- Make sure you are using the latest version of the templates.
Certified and Assessed Persons consist of:
- All Certified staff (those holding a certification function under the SM&CR.
- Directors who are not performing Senior Manager Functions (SMFs) – both executive and non-executive.
- Other individuals who are sole traders or ARs (including those within ARs) where they are undertaking business with clients and require a qualification to do so.
Certified and Assessed Persons information to be published on the Financial Services Register includes:
- Name and any previous names.
- Roles with start and end dates.
- Activities undertaken.
For customer-facing roles requiring a qualification:
- Customer engagement methods.
- Workplace location (where relevant).
- Memberships of professional bodies.
How to prepare your Certified and Assessed person submission
Our Policy Statement (PS19/7) provides useful background about certified and assessed persons and information for preparing your submission. Page 5 includes a full list of all the certified and assessed persons information that will appear publicly on the FS Register. Please read this before preparing your submission.
How to submit your Certified and Assessed persons data
Submit your data using the new directory persons Connect form. In this form you will have 2 ways of submitting your data, using a single entry form for a single record notification, or a template for you to add multiple entries.
For help adding multiple entries, refer to our user guide and the multiple add template.
How to amend your Certified and Assessed persons data
Amend your data using the new directory persons Connect form. In this form you will have 2 ways of amending your data, using the single amend form for a single record amendment, or a template for you to amend multiple entries.
How we’ll make your data public
Our Question and Answers include a full range of information on topics such as reporting, the submission process and use of data.
If you have any general questions about the directory persons, either call us on 0300 500 0597 from the UK, on +44 207 066 1000 from abroad, or email us.