The Financial Services Register is a public record of firms, individuals and other bodies that are, or have been, regulated by the PRA and/or FCA.
Getting the most from the Register
You can search the Register for information on a firm, individual or financial services product by entering its name, reference number (FRN) or postcode. You can also search for certain investment exchanges.
The Register shows whether a firm you are using, or plan to use, is authorised or registered by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and/or the FCA, or is exempt. You can also find out if a consumer credit firm has interim permission.
Other information you can see includes:
- the main contact details, trading names, permissions and other basic information
- the ‘status’ of a firm or individual, such as whether they are authorised or approved
- whether a firm is covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service and Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)
- the regulated activities the firm can provide and its 'permissions' for those activities
You can also search the Register for individuals who work in authorised firms and perform some important tasks that we have ‘approved’.
Firms that we have been told are providing regulated products or services without the correct authorisation – or are deliberately running scams – are now included in the Register with prominent warnings.
Other information on unauthorised firms includes the different details they give out and whether they are falsely claiming to be from a genuine, authorised firm.
If you deal with a firm (or individual) that is not regulated you may not be covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service or FSCS.
Obtaining data extracts
If you would like to use data from the Register, you can either buy a regular subscription, or a one-off data 'cut'. We offer the data in either CD or web-based formats.
Supported internet browsers
To access the Financial Services Register from March 2018 you will need a current or recent version of browsers such as:
- Chrome (download or update)
- Internet Explorer 11 (download or update)
- Microsoft Edge (download or update)
- Safari (download or update)
- Firefox (download or update)
- Opera (download or update)
The regulatory jurisdiction for the Financial Services Register comes under the Financial Services & Markets Act 2000 (FSMA), Payment Services Regulations 2009, Electronic Money Regulations 2011 and Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017.