If you're a firm carrying on regulated claims management activity, you must be authorised by us. Find out what you need to do before applying.
To become an authorised claims management company (CMC), you must:
- show you meet our minimum standards (‘threshold conditions’)
- comply with our principles and our rules about systems and controls
Applications for authorisation are made via our online system Connect.
Make sure you’ve read all our guidance before applying, but remember that you may need to consider additional factors depending on your individual case.
What to read before applying
You should also read these modules in our Handbook:
- PERG The Perimeter Guidance Manual – you'll need to explain how the permissions match up with your business model
- COND Threshold Conditions – you'll need to explain how you will continue to meet each threshold condition
- CMCOB Claims Management: Conduct of Business sourcebook – you'll need to provide details of how you comply with these rules
- SYSC Senior Management Arrangements, Systems and Controls – you'll need to provide details of how your governance, systems and controls are appropriate
To avoid delays, your application must clearly explain:
- your firm's specific activities and how these align with the permissions you're applying for
- how and why individuals in key roles were selected, based on their qualifications or relevant experience
Any technology or systems you will be using must also be ready to carry out the regulated activities you’ve applied for. You will need to be able to provide evidence of how these will operate to support your business.
Before submitting your application, make sure it‘s complete and has no missing forms. Where required, make sure that your documentation is signed and that you have provided us with passwords for any password-protected files.
Your application must clearly explain what compliance arrangements you have in place to meet your regulatory obligations.
You must tell us about any conflicts of interest and explain how you intend to manage or mitigate them.
You must also be open and co-operative with us (Principle 11) and respond to requests for information within the timeframes we specify.
If you need help with your application, please contact us on 0300 500 0597. We're open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 9am to 5pm, and Thursday 9.45am to 5pm.