Registration: Connect

Find out how your firm can register on Connect.

What information you need

If you are already authorised by us, you will need your Firm Reference Number (FRN) and Individual Reference Number (IRN). If you are a sole trader you will not have an IRN, but you can use a registration key – your key was sent to you in your firm’s authorisation letter.

You also need to know who your Connect Principal User will be for your firm. To register the Connect Principal User, you need to hold a Controlled Function (CF), Senior Manager Function (SMF) or a Senior Insurance Manager Function (SIMF) at the firm. They will need to provide their Individual Reference Number and National Insurance Number or Passport number to register as the Principal User.

Registering an authorised or registered firm

You can register either:

1. As an approved person if you hold one of the following functions:
• Controlled functions (CF) 1, 3-11, 28 or 29 (individuals holding a ‘'significant influence function' (SIF)
• Senior management functions (SMF) 1-8, 16-22, 24, 27, 29

These functions - such as director, partner or compliance - relate to regulated activities. This is because part of the firm registration process includes selecting a principal user who can potentially cancel the firm's authorisation.

2. As the holder of a registration key

If your firm doesn’t have any individuals that hold the above controlled functions, you will need your Registration Key and Firm Reference Number (FRN). If you cannot find your Registration Key, please call us on 0300 500 0597.

FCA explains: How to register for Connect

Connect is our online system for submitting applications and notifications.

Connect for firms that are not currently authorised or registered with the FCA