Firms must be authorised by us, or have interim permission, to offer consumer credit. Find out more about authorisation and how to apply for it.
When a firm is authorised by us it has ‘permission’ to carry out certain regulated activities. This includes firms that want to offer consumer credit, or have interim permission to do so, and need to apply for authorisation.
This information is for firms offering consumer credit. We have separate information on authorisation for firms that want to carry out financial services activities that are not related to consumer credit.
To ensure you submit a complete application for consumer credit authorisation, and we can consider it as quickly as possible, you should follow these steps to find out about:
- Step 1: Credit-related activities that require authorisation and whether you need to apply for limited or full permission
- Step 2: Possible exemptions from authorisation
- Step 3: Authorisation application fees
- Step 4: Prepare to make an application and watch our authorisation webinars
- Step 5: Apply for authorisation