Authorised payment institutions in the EEA

Authorised payment institutions (PIs) can apply to provide payment services in European Economic Area member states.

Authorised payment institutions (PIs) can provide payment services in other European Economic Area (EEA) member states through a cross-border passport arrangement (known as passporting).

You can apply to:

  • establish a physical presence in the state (for example, if your firm wanted to open a permanent office in that state)
  • provide cross-border services (for example, if you wanted to provide payment services without establishing a permanent presence in that country)
  • You can apply to passport under PSD2 from 13 December 2017 

More information

See more information on: