Find out how to report a scam, unauthorised firm or individual to us.
What you can report to us
If you think you've been contacted by an unauthorised firm or individual trying to scam you about:
- an investment
- your pension
- taking out a loan
- insurance and warranty products
- claims management
- consumer credit
Or, if you have any suspicions about the promotion of a financial investment, or a financial service you have paid for, you should report it to us.
Scams we can't help with
We can only look into scams that involve financial services we regulate. We can't help with:
- driving licence scams
- TV licence scams
- HMRC and tax scams
- competition or lottery scams
- eBay/Gumtree/Amazon merchant scams (for example, the seller not delivering goods)
If you have been contacted about one of these scams.
- contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or online via their website. If you live in Scotland, you should report to Police Scotland by calling 101 or contact Advice Direct Scotland on 0808 164 6000
- get in touch with the relevant organisation or regulator
- if you have given out any of your personal information, or have already made a payment, contact your bank immediately using the contact details on the Financial Services Register
If you have received a suspicious email, text message or phone call claiming to be from HMRC, find out how to report it to them.
If the firm or person you want to report is authorised or registered with us, please get in touch using our regular contact details.
You can check the FS Register to find out if a firm is authorised.
To report an unauthorised firm or individual, the best way to get in touch is by contacting our consumer helpline via phone or via our contact form.
Our team will take details of the scam and give you guidance on your next steps.
We're open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm.
- 0800 111 6768 (freephone)
- 0300 500 8082 from the UK
- +44 207 066 1000 from abroad
Calls using next generation text relay, please call us on (18001) 0207 066 1000.
You can also use our reporting form, but we won’t be able to provide feedback or a response on the forms you submit.