Request information on a mutual society

How to get information about a mutual society, including addresses, annual returns, rules and mergers.

You can get information from us about the following mutual societies:

  • building societies
  • friendly societies
  • credit unions
  • co-operative societies
  • community benefit societies

The information we hold and can provide includes:

  • registration certificates
  • registered office addresses
  • annual returns and accounts
  • rules
  • name changes
  • transfers of assets and liabilities (engagements)
  • merger details
  • de-registrations
  • charges (eg mortgages)

How to get information and costs

You can get information by:

  • searching the Mutuals Public Register to see if the document is available online and downloading it for free.
  • filling in the order form to request a free electronic copy of the document if it’s not available online.
  • booking an appointment if you want to see a paper copy of the document at our office. This may be possible on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 9.30am and 12.30pm or 1.30pm and 4.30pm. This service costs £75 per hour or part thereof.
  • contacting the society if you can’t find the document.

How to pay

You can pay:

  • online 
  • on the phone - we will phone you to take payment once you’ve ordered
  • by cheque - make it out to ‘Financial Conduct Authority’ and send to Financial Conduct Authority, 12 Endeavour Square, London, E20 1JN

If a society isn’t on the Mutuals Public Register

If a society isn’t on the Mutuals Public Register:

  • it may not be registered 
  • it may be registered as a private company – you can get information about a company from Companies House
  • its file may be stored by the National Archives

Terms and conditions

Here are the terms and conditions for the FCA providing public records.

Contact us

If you have any questions, contact:

  • email: [email protected]
  • post: Mutual Societies, Financial Conduct Authority, 12 Endeavour Square, London, E20 1JN