Register a new legal status: Electronic money and payment institutions

How an electronic money or payment institution (PI) can change its legal status with us, the evidence it needs to provide and the forms it needs to complete to transfer to a new registration or authorisation.

If you plan to change the legal status of your e-money or payment institution, for example from a partnership to a limited company, you must apply to us before you change status.

We’ll cancel the existing registration or authorisation and arrange for the registration or authorisation of the new business.

Providing different payment services

If your new business will offer e-money or payment services that you are not currently registered or authorised to provide, you must apply using our online system Connect ​​​​​to:

Delivering the same payment services or fewer

If you’re offering the same payment services or fewer, you must complete and submit an application via Connect:

As we already know your e-money or PI business, the forms are shorter than a full registration or authorisation and the fees are less.

Tell us about your new business

The new legal status of your company

The change of legal status application requires you to provide evidence of your change of legal status, for example your new Companies House incorporation number or Articles of Association.

Change in business managers, agents or qualifying holdings

You must notify us of changes to people responsible for operating your e-money or payment services or if you use different agents.

Change in qualifying holdings

If the qualifying holdings have changed in your new firm, you must tell us of the changes in the qualifying holdings.

Change in business details

If your basic details have changed, for example your trading name or contact details, complete a changing firm details form.

Submit your application to change legal status

Post the application to:

Payment Services Team, Authorisations Division, Financial Conduct Authority, 12 Endeavour Square, London, E20 1JN

You must send:

  • the application form
  • changes in PSD individual forms, if applicable
  • changes in qualifying holding forms, if applicable
  • changes in PSD agent forms, if applicable
  • an amend standing data form, if applicable, and
  • a cheque for the application fee


The application fees for an authorised e-money firm or PI to change its status vary. Full details are provided in the application form.

Our handbook also provides further information on fees.

All application fees are non-refundable.

How long it takes

Although the standard timescales apply for registration or authorisation of a new firm (3 months from receipt of a complete application, 12 months for incomplete), we would expect to be able to assess a change of legal status application more quickly as we already know your EMI or PI business.

Refusing applications

We will contact you if we have concerns about the changes you are making to your firm, for example changes to firms or people with qualifying holdings, which might suggest that the firm is unable to satisfy the conditions of registration/authorisation.

Contact details

You can contact us by:

  • phone on 0300 500 0597
  • email on [email protected]
  • post: Financial Conduct Authority, 12 Endeavour Square, London, E20 1JN

Further information

Further information can be found in Chapter 4 of The FCA’s role under the Payment Services Regulations 2017 and the Electronic Money Regulations 2011.

Page updates

19/02/2021: Editorial amendment Meta description and content owner added.