If you're a home finance provider, you have to be authorised by us. Here we explain what you need to do before applying to us for authorisation.
To become an authorised home finance provider, you have to show you meet our minimum standards – known as our threshold conditions.
Read this page before submitting your application through our online system Connect. Please note, this guidance is not exhaustive and you may need to consider additional factors on a case-by-case basis.
What to read before applying
Then review the following modules in the FCA Handbook:
- PERG The Perimeter Guidance Manual – you'll need to explain how the permissions match up with your business model
- COND Threshold Conditions – you'll need to explain how you'll continue to meet each threshold condition
- MCOB Mortgage Conduct of Business Sourcebook – you'll need to provide details of how you will comply with these rules
- Prudential sourcebook for Mortgage and Home Finance Firms, and Insurance Intermediaries (MIPRU) – this is relevant to the permissions you're applying for
- Consumer Credit Sourcebook (CONC) – you need to read this because you're applying for consumer credit permissions
Preparing your application
You will need to complete:
- all the required forms relevant to your business type
- a business plan that covers all key areas – for help, refer to our sample business plan
- an IT self-assessment questionnaire – this will help you determine whether you need to fill in the IT controls form, detailed IT controls form, or neither form
Avoid delays to the process
Many factors could delay the application process, so here is some advice to help you ensure your application goes as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Make sure your application has no incomplete or missing forms. Where required, documentation should be signed, with passwords provided if files are password protected.
Ensure that the technology or systems you will be using are ready to carry out the applied-for regulated activities and that you can provide evidence of how these will operate to support your business.
Your application may be delayed if you have a generic business plan and don't explain your firm's specific activities and how these align with the permissions you're applying for.
You will also need to clearly explain how and why individuals in key roles at your firm were selected, based on their qualifications or relevant experience.
It's important that you identify conflicts of interest and explain how you intend to manage or mitigate them.
You must be open and co-operative with us (Principle 11) and provide responses within the requested dates.
Your application must make clear what compliance arrangements will be in place to meet your firm’s ongoing regulatory obligations.
If you need more help
Please contact us on 0300 500 0597. We're open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 9am to 5pm, and Thursday 9.45am to 5pm.
20/07/2020: Link changed broken links fixed