PPI complaints made using a claims management company

Find out what it means – and what it will cost you – if you chose to pay a claims company to complain on your behalf.

Before the PPI complaints deadline, companies often contacted people by text messages or phone calls, and offered to help make a complaint about PPI. Some also advertised to promote their services.

These companies are also known as claims management companies (CMCs), claims handlers and claims firms.

FCA regulation of CMCs

The FCA became the regulator for CMCs, including those handling financial services claims, from 1 April 2019. Visit Using claims management companies for more information.

    Cost of using a claims company

    Claims companies are prohibited from charging upfront fees, but most charge a fee that can be up to 20% (plus VAT) of any amount you are refunded for your PPI.

    A 20% fee would mean you pay the claims company a £1,000 fee (plus VAT) out of a £5,000 refund, rather than receiving the full refund if you make the complaint yourself.

    If you decided to use a claims company, you should read the terms and conditions carefully and make sure you understand what it will cost you.

    We also provide information to help you avoid PPI refund scams, such as where you pay an upfront fee for someone to complain about PPI on your behalf but they don’t actually make a complaint for you.

    After you complain

    If you used a claims company to complain to a provider about PPI on or before 29 August 2019, the provider of your financial product should firstly acknowledge that they have received your complaint.

    Visit After you complain about PPI for more information on what happens next, how long you should wait for a response from your provider, and what to do if you aren’t happy with your final response.

    Unwanted calls or texts

    Some claims companies call or send text (SMS) messages to people out of the blue, to offer to complain about PPI on their behalf.

    To help stop unwanted marketing calls, register your mobile and landline phone numbers for free with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS).

    The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has more on nuisance calls and texts, including how to complain about them.

    Complain about a claims company

    You can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service if you’re unhappy with the service you’ve received from a claims company, including about the fees they’ve charged you or the outcome of your claim.

    You can complain to us if you’re unhappy with the conduct of a claims company. Visit How to complain for more information on how to complain about a claims company.