Cancel an electronic money institution (EMI) registration or authorisation

How an electronic money institution can cancel its registration or authorisation, and what you must do before you apply.

Apply to cancel your registration or authorisation

If your firm stops providing electronic money services you must apply to have your registration or authorisation cancelled.

To cancel your authorisation or registration, you should complete the application form on our online system Connect.

Before you apply

Before applying to cancel, you must:

  • have stopped providing electronic money services, or
  • plan to stop providing electronic money services within 6 months

You should have:

  • paid any outstanding Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) or Financial Ombudsman Service fees
  • filed any due regulatory returns, for example your annual returns to the FCA, and
  • resolved any complaints

Once we’re satisfied you’ve met these conditions, we’ll remove your payment institution from the Register as quickly as possible.


There are no fees to cancel a registration or authorisation.

Contact us

You can contact us by:

  • phone on 0300 500 0597
  • email on [email protected]
  • post to Financial Conduct Authority, 25 The North Colonnade, London E14 5HS