We collect mortgage lending data via the Mortgage Lending and Administration Return (MLAR) which is submitted to the FCA by firms carrying out mortgage lending and mortgage administration.
Statistics on mortgage lending: Q2 2021 edition
The latest commentary and full statistical tables are available below. The commentary includes technical information on the MLAR as well as analysis of the findings.
- Commentary on the statistics
- MLAR statistics: summary tables (Excel)
- MLAR statistics: detailed tables (Excel)
- Technical notes (PDF)
- How the data is calculated (PDF)
For any technical queries on the tables contact MLAR Statistics.
An explanatory note detailing the relationship between this data and other mortgage statistics published by the Bank of England is available on their website.
- The outstanding value of all residential mortgage loans was £1,584.1 billion at the end of 2021 Q2, 4.6% higher than a year earlier.
- The value of gross mortgage advances in 2021 Q2 was £89.0 billion, over double the amount seen in 2020 Q2, and the highest level since 2007 Q3.
- The value of new mortgage commitments (lending agreed to be advanced in the coming months) was almost 2.5 times greater than a year earlier, at £85.6 billion, but £2.1 billion lower than the recent peak seen in 2020 Q4.
Since the beginning of 2007, around 340 regulated mortgage lenders and administrators have been required to submit a Mortgage Lending and Administration Return (MLAR) each quarter, providing data on their mortgage lending activities.
The FCA and the Prudential Regulatory Authority (PRA) both have responsibility for the regulation of mortgage lenders and administrators so this data publication is joint. We publish this data every quarter.
What’s included in the data
The data we publish includes:
- the outstanding value of all residential loans
- total gross advances by loan-to-value, income multiples and purpose of loan
- value of new commitments
- proportion of mortgage loans above Bank Rate
The next edition will be published here on 14 December 2021. Provisional dates will be confirmed or revised no later than a week before.