Employers' liability insurance: claiming for a work-related injury or illness

If you want to make a claim after a work-related illness or injury, but can't get the information you need from your employer, find out how to find the right insurer. 

If you were injured or became ill as a result of your work, you could be entitled to compensation from your employer. Most employers must have employers’ liability insurance to help pay this compensation to you.  

It may be helpful to speak to your employer about this in the first instance, but this may not always be possible. For example, where your injury or illness resulted from your work with a former employer and they are no longer in business. 

If you are unable to get the information you need from your employer to make a claim, read our guidance to help you find the right insurer.

Specialist tracing offices 

For policies sold from 2011 onwards, general insurers have had to publish an employers’ liability register (ELR). This lists their policies and the employers they cover. 

However, it can be difficult to find out which insurer is responsible for your claim, particularly if it relates to an incident that happened a long time ago. 

A tracing office may be able to help you find the right insurer. You can search their records to try and find out who your employer’s liability insurer is. 

Many firms use the Employers’ Liability Tracing Office (ELTO). You can enter your details and search its records online, or you can contact [email protected]

Search the FCA list 

General insurers must tell us if they are, or might be, responsible for employers’ liability claims.  

If you think you know which insurer is responsible for your claim, you can search our list to find contact details and other information. 

Our list is based on information provided by insurers and has a searchable table showing the following details, where available: 

  • the insurer’s firm reference number (FRN) - this can be used to cross-refer to the Financial Services Register, which provides further information about the firm 
  • the name of the insurer 
  • the home country of the insurer in Europe 
  • whether the insurer is, or might be, responsible for employers’ liability insurance claims, or whether we are still waiting for information from them 
  • the website address of the insurer, or the tracing office where its employers’ liability register is available 

For insurers not using a tracing office, the following details are included: 

  • the name of a contact at the insurer, their telephone number or postal address, or both 
  • the period when the insurer provided cover - or, if still ongoing, the date it started providing cover (this is to help you check if the insurer was providing cover at the time relevant to your claim)

Search our list