The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has appointed Non-Executive Chair of the London Stock Exchange (LSE) plc Michael Findlay, as the Chair of its independent Markets Practitioner Panel.
Michael will take up the post from 1 July 2021, succeeding Interim Chair Tim Waddell, Vice Chairman, Global Corporate & Investment Banking for EMEA, BofA Securities.
Welcoming the appointment, the FCA’s Chair Charles Randell said:
'Michael brings deep capital markets and corporate experience, with an appreciation of the important role that the Panel plays in ensuring our regulation is targeted and effective. Well-functioning capital markets will remain vital to support the economy as the UK starts to recover from the impact of the pandemic.
‘We will continue to value the robust and constructive challenge of the Panel particularly as we contemplate our approach to the future of regulation and transformation. I know Michael will continue the excellent work of his predecessor and I look forward to working with him in the years ahead.
'I would like to thank Tim for his contribution as both a member and Chair, and especially for steering the Panel throughout the pandemic, allowing it to provide timely input into the FCA’s work.'
Michael Findlay, Non-Executive Chair of the LSE plc said:
'With the regulator and industry considering how markets need to adapt to be fit for the future, it is especially important that the FCA can call on the expertise of senior industry practitioners. I look forward to working together with my colleagues on the Panel and drawing on their broad experience of capital markets to help the FCA achieve a balanced regulatory approach whilst upholding the highest standards’
The Markets Practitioner Panel provides external and independent input to the FCA from the point of view of financial market participants.
Notes to editors
- The FCA Practitioner Panels were set up to make and maintain effective arrangements for consulting practitioners on the extent to which the FCA’s general policies and practices are consistent with its general duties, as set out in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (as amended).
- Appointments of the Chairs of the Statutory Panels are agreed by the FCA Board and approved by HM Treasury.
- Michael Findlay was appointed as Non-Executive Chair of the London Stock Exchange (LSE) plc in June 2020. Michael has held senior positions at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Moelis & Company LLP and UBS. His current directorships include Non-Executive Director and Chair of the Audit & Risk Committee of Royal Mail plc and Chair of Morgan Sindall Group plc.
- Tim Waddell is Vice Chairman, Global Corporate and Investment Banking for EMEA at BofA Securities. He joined from UBS, having started his career at SG Warburg. At UBS, he held a number of senior positions in the UK Investment Banking business, latterly Chairman of UK Coverage and Advisory.
- Find out more about the FCA Practitioner Panels.
- Find out more information about the FCA.