The Financial Conduct Authority’s Acting Chief Executive Tracey McDermott today announced the final appointment to the FCA’s Executive Committee with Georgina Philippou becoming the new Chief Operating Officer.
Georgina Philippou has been acting Director for Enforcement and Market Oversight and will take up her new role in November. Georgina has over twenty years’ experience of regulation in the United Kingdom and recently played a key role in the FCA’s work on the 40th annual IOSCO Conference in June.
The appointment now means that all executive director positions within the FCA have been filled following the review of strategy, priorities and ways of working in December 2014.
Tracey McDermott, Acting Chief Executive of the Financial Conduct Authority, said:
“Georgina brings a wealth of regulatory experience here and overseas that’s invaluable in ensuring that the FCA is able to operate effectively across all its priorities and objectives. As the demands on the organisation increase, it’s imperative that we prioritise effectively and use our resources in the most efficient manner. Georgina’s extensive experience and wide knowledge of the approaches of international regulators means she is well placed to know what we need to be able to perform and deliver value for money at the level expected by ourselves and by the industry.”
The Financial Conduct Authority’s Executive Committee is attended by:
- Acting Chief Executive Officer: Tracey McDermott
- Chief Operating Officer: Georgina Philippou
- Director of Enforcement and Market Oversight: Mark Steward
- Director of Strategy and Competition: Christopher Woolard
- Director of Supervision – Investment, Wholesale and Specialists: Megan Butler
- Director of Supervision – Retail and Authorisations: Jonathan Davidson
- Director of Risk and Compliance Oversight: Barbara Frohn
- General Counsel: Sean Martin
Tracey McDermott said:
“We now have in place an Executive Committee with a range of experience from the industry and regulation both here and abroad.
“As we implement our new strategy focused on delivering high quality regulation, the mix of experience and fresh perspectives will be invaluable. I’m looking forward to working with the new team.”
Following Georgina’s appointment, the FCA confirmed that David Godfrey would become Director of Finance and Operations. The FCA also announced that Linda Woodall would become Director of Life Insurance and Financial Advice.
Notes to editors
- Georgina started her career as a researcher in a major accountancy firm before moving on to become an investment analyst for an institutional client stock broker and then a major investment bank.
- Georgina then joined the Securities and Investments Board (one of the FCA’s predecessor organisations) specialising in investigations, particularly of unauthorised business. Georgina has extensive enforcement experience across all areas of financial services including dispute resolution through settlement and mediation involving a range of financial services firms.
- Georgina was director of strategy and delivery in the Enforcement and Financial Crime Division, focusing on internal and external stakeholder management, referral of cases to Enforcement, operational support, digital evidence and cross Divisional strategic issues. Georgina Chairs IOSCO’s Committee on Enforcement and the Exchange of Information and its Screening Group which assesses applications to sign the MMoU.
- Georgina is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment.