We have confirmed the appointment of Aidene Walsh as Chair of the Payment Systems Regulator for a three-year term.
Aidene has been interim chair of the PSR since April 2022. The appointment was made by the FCA Board with the approval of the Treasury.
Richard Lloyd OBE, Interim Chair of the FCA, said:
'I warmly congratulate Aidene on her appointment. The Payment Systems Regulator fulfils a vital role in enabling sustainable innovation, protecting consumers, and promoting competition in payments, and the FCA looks forward to continuing to work closely with Aidene and her team.'
Aidene Walsh, Chair of the Payment Systems Regulator, said:
'I am delighted to have been appointed Chair of the PSR at such an important time for UK payments and the wider economy.
'The next couple of years will see delivery of vital developments in payments as well as new innovations. The PSR will continue to work with payment operators and firms, consumer and business groups and other regulators to ensure that the UK’s payment systems are fit for the future and that the wider ecosystem delivers competition and innovation. It will also ensure that choice and protection is front and centre when people and businesses make payments and take appropriate action where this is not the case.'
Notes to editors
- The Chair of the PSR is appointed by the FCA Board, with approval from HM Treasury.
- Aidene Walsh joined the PSR Board on 1 June 2020 and served as its Interim Chair from 1 April 2022.
- Aidene is currently an Executive Director with Banking Competition Remedies Ltd (BCR). Prior to joining the BCR, she was CEO of The Fairbanking Foundation, a charity supporting organisations to put customer financial well-being at the heart of their propositions. In her 26-year banking career, she held various leadership roles in international and domestic Commercial and Transaction Banking businesses. These included European Transaction Banking in Citigroup and ABN Amro, Global Network Banking in RBS and Merchant Acquiring and Commercial Cards in Lloyds Banking Group. In her spare time, she serves as a Magistrate in South-West London.
- As PSR Chair, Aidene will also sit on the FCA Board to ensure both organisations work together effectively to deliver for payment systems users.
- Find out more information about the FCA.