Consumer credit - Financial Conduct Authority

Consumer credit

We regulate more than 50,000 firms that offer credit, loans or debt services. Firms must be authorised by us, or have interim permission, to offer consumer credit.

Consumer credit firms include credit card issuers, credit brokers, payday lenders, log book lenders, peer-to-peer lenders, pawnbrokers, and debt management and debt collection firms.

If your firm wants to start carrying out consumer credit activities it must apply for authorisation.

If your firm registered for interim permission to offer consumer credit from 1 April 2014, when we took over regulation, you need to apply for authorisation in your allocated application period.



Published: 24/07/2014

Firms must be authorised by us, or have interim permission, to offer consumer credit. Find out more about authorisation and how to apply for it.

Consumer Credit Register

Published: 24/07/2014

The Consumer Credit Register is a public record of firms that have interim permission to carry out consumer credit activities.

How we regulate firms

Published: 13/05/2014

Find out about the rules that consumer credit firms must follow and how we will regulate firms from 1 April 2014.

Interim permission

Published: 02/07/2014

If you held an OFT licence and want to continue carrying out consumer credit activities, you had to register for interim permission by 31 March 2014. Find out more about interim permission.

Policy statement

Detailed rules for the FCA regime for consumer credit.

Read More

Firms without interim permission

Check our list of OFT-licensed firms that did not register for interim permission

Read More

Consumer credit research

Find out more on the consumer credit market

Read More