We supervise the conduct of over 50,000 firms, and regulate the prudential standards of those firms not covered by the Prudential Regulation Authority.
We promote innovation and healthy competition between financial services firms and we help them keep to the rules and maintain high conduct standards.
We are fair and principled in our approach to regulation and supervision. We intervene when firms:
- treat consumers unfairly
- behave in ways that risk the integrity of the market
We supervise firms differently depending on their size and the nature of their business. This includes:
- continuous conduct assessment for large firms and regular assessment for smaller firms
- monitoring products and other issues to ensure firms play fair and don’t compromise consumer interests
- responding quickly and decisively to events or problems that threaten the integrity of the industry
- ensuring firms compensate consumers when necessary
Explore this section to find out more about our approach to regulating and supervising firms.