We supervise the conduct of 26,000 financial firms and regulate the prudential standards of 23,000 of those. Find out about our approach to regulation and how we supervise firms’ conduct.
We promote innovation and healthy competition between financial services firms. We help them keep to the rules and maintain high conduct standards.
We are fair and principled in our approach to regulation and supervision. We intervene when firms:
- treat consumers unfairly
- behave in ways that risk the integrity of the market
We supervise firms differently depending on their size and the nature of their business. This includes:
- continuous conduct assessment for large firms and regular assessment for smaller firms
- monitoring products and other issues to ensure firms play fair and don’t compromise consumer interests
- responding quickly and decisively to events or problems that threaten the integrity of the industry
- ensuring firms compensate consumers when necessary
Explore this section to find out more about our approach to regulating and supervising firms.