Last Modified: 28/03/2013
Our aim is to make financial markets work well so that consumers get a fair deal.
We supervise firms to make sure they act in the best interests of consumers and the market.
We focus on:
- conduct: for the market to thrive, firms must behave ethically, stick to the rules and meet our standards
- competition: we encourage healthy competition between firms to keep the market buoyant and help grow the economy
- reducing market abuse: firms need to have procedures to help them identify and stop market abuse, such as insider dealing and share price manipulation
Combating market abuse
We work to keep the markets sound and combat illegal activity. We are quick to take action against firms and individuals:
- who act illegally and abuse the market
- who do not have adequate safeguards in place to identify criminal activities in their business and stop them
Read more about our enforcement powers.