Finding an adviser

It can be tricky to know how to find a financial adviser, especially if you’re looking for the first time. Read our tips to help you get started.

If you want to get financial advice – or just need help investing your money, planning your pension or deciding on long-term care – there are several ways to find an adviser. These include:

  • asking family and friends for a recommendation
  • using a newspaper, telephone directory or internet search engine
  • using a dedicated financial adviser search website

It is usually worth speaking to two or three financial advisers to compare their services and prices before you commit to a meeting. Find out more about what to ask a financial adviser.

Ask family and friends

You could ask a member of your family or a close friend if they use an adviser and, if so, whether they would recommend them.

If someone you trust has confidence in an adviser, it could cut down the time you spend searching for one.

Remember, just because an adviser was right for your family member or friend, does not mean they will be right for you and your circumstances. You should still make sure the adviser can consider the options that are right for you.

Newspaper, phone directory and online search

You will find advertisements for financial advisers in both local and national newspapers.

Financial advisers are also listed in telephone directories.

You could also look online using a search engine. 

If you can, check the website of any adviser you are considering before you contact them. Make sure they offer the products and services you are looking for.

Useful websites

MoneyHelper has information on how to find a financial adviser, or you could get more information from a group that represents advisers, such as PIMFA

Alternatively, you could find an adviser using The Personal Finance Society search tool.

Check the Financial Services Register

If you have found an adviser you would like to use, you should check the FS Register to ensure they are regulated and approved by us.

If you use an adviser that is not approved by us, you will not have access to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) or the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) if things go wrong.

Please note, the FS Register has recently undergone some changes. Now, an individual adviser who is an employee of a financial services firm will not necessarily appear as active on the FS Register. 

Under the Senior Managers and Certification Regime (SM&CR), we will be publishing and maintaining, on the FS Register, the details of individuals who are certified and assessed by their firms, so you can check the details of advisers working in financial services. Find out more.

Page updates

11/08/2021: Information changed Money Advice Service to MoneyHelper