How to complain to us about a promotion or advert, and what types of complaints we deal with.
We investigate complaints about misleading, unclear or unfair financial adverts or promotions.
We deal with these types of product:
- credit cards
- store cards
- debt management
- hire purchase
- credit broking
What we don't deal with
We don’t deal with complaints about:
- adverts or promotions for non-financial products
- broader issues (like taste, decency or social responsibility) in an advert
Contact the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) instead.
If you contact us about an issue we don't deal with, we'll pass your complaint to the right organisation.
We can't help with resolving individual complaints or compensation claims.
How to make your complaint
Complete and submit our reporting form.
If you prefer to write to us you can complete the reporting form, then print it out and post it to:
Financial Promotions Team
Financial Conduct Authority
25 The North Colonnade
London E14 5HS
You can call us on 0300 500 0597.
To help us deal with your complaint quickly
Send us a copy of the advert or promotion you're concerned about, if you can. For example, if it's a newspaper or poster advert you can take a photo and:
- email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- include it in your complaint letter, if you're posting your complaint to us
What we'll do about your complaint
We'll look at your complaint to see if we think action is needed.
We'll then write to the firm if we have concerns and give them the chance to respond to us. This is so that it can defend its position, for example by providing evidence that an advert isn't misleading.
If we don't think their response is adequate, we can use our powers further to:
- tell the firm to withdraw the advert or promotion
- tell it to write to customers who may have been misled and compensate them if they've lost money as a result
- warn or fine the firm