Stopping a payment from your account

Find out what you have to do and your rights if you want to stop a payment being made from your account.

What you have to do to stop a payment you have arranged to be made from your account will depend on whether it is a direct debit, standing order, regular card payment, cheque, or made directly from your account.

We explain more about these payment options and what you can do if there is a problem.

Cancelling a direct debit

A direct debit gives a company or individual permission to take money regularly from your bank account.

You can cancel a direct debit by writing to your bank or using your online or telephone banking service. You might also want to tell the company or individual that is taking the money, but you do not have to.

If the company or individual wants to change the amount or date of a payment you have not cancelled, under the Direct Debit Guarantee Scheme it must tell you about the change in advance. You are guaranteed a full and immediate refund if a company, individual or your bank, makes an error.

Cancelling a standing order

A standing order is an instruction you give your bank to regularly pay a set amount to another account.

You can cancel a standing order by writing to your bank or using your online or telephone banking service.

To cancel a standing order you will have to do this before close of business on the working day before the payment is due to be made.

If you tell you bank to cancel a payment before the deadline for doing so, and it is still paid, it will be considered an unauthorised transaction and your bank must give you an immediate refund.

You can find out more about unauthorised transactions.

Cancelling other regular payments

When you give your credit or debit card details to a company or individual, and give them permission to take regular payments from your account, it is known as a continuous payment authority or recurring transaction.

These payments might be set up for something like a gym membership or magazine subscription.

These regular card payments are often confused with direct debits, but do not offer the same guarantee if the amount or date of the payment changes.

In most cases, you can cancel these types of regular card payments by telling (or writing to) the company taking the payments.

However, you have the right to cancel these regular card payments directly with your bank or card provider. Your bank or card provider must then stop the payments – it cannot insist that you agree this with the company taking the payments first.

You will still be responsible for paying any money that you owe to the company that was taking the payments.

Stopping a cheque

If a cheque has not been paid, you can stop it by writing to your bank, or using your online or telephone banking service.

Payments from your account

If you make a payment directly from your account (for example by using Faster Payments) you are not be able to cancel the payment after having made it and you may not be able to recover the funds, unless your payment is future dated.